What is a Construction Wireman?
A Construction Wireman (CW) is an entry-level position into the Electrical Industry. A CW is a non-registered apprentice with less than 8,000 hours of electrical construction work experience. The typical work of a CW is on residential and light commercial projects. This is an excellent opportunity for those seeking the electrical trade and want to extend their professional electrical career with the Union.
About the Program
There is a four period pay scale for Construction Wireman based off the number of hours worked. As you work more hours, your pay will increase. Below is the Construction Wireman Pay Scale as of December 1, 2021.
||Number of Hours
||0 – 2000
||2001 – 4000
||4001 – 6000
||6001 – 8000
Most CWs start out as a CW1. If you have documented previous experience, you may be able to start at a higher pay rate. To advance in pay rate, you will have to provide the JATC with work documentation such as W-2 forms, paystubs, or SIQI forms. If you documented experience is greater than 8,000 hours, you will be referred to IBEW Local 306 for information about being a Construction Electrician.
Construction Wireman have the opportunity to take Continue Education Courses here at the JATC at no cost to them. The schedule for these courses is released twice a year: Fall and Spring. Courses offered include CPR, OSHA 10, OSHA 30, ICRA, Skid Steer, Motor Control, and many more. As a CW, you can register for these courses online or by contacting the JATC via email or phone.
- The Construction Wireman application is the only application we do not have online. Anyone interested in becoming a Construction Wireman should come to the Akron Area Electrical JATC Office and fill out a Construction Wireman Application on site.
- This application will ask about previous work experience, education, and training you may have. Don’t be discouraged from applying if you do not have electrical experience. We look at many factors that contribute to the decision of selecting Construction Wireman.
- Construction Wireman are selected and hired based solely off of industry need. When our contractors need Construction Wireman, they send us a request form for the number needed for any specific job site. We then go to our list of applicants and hire only the number requested to fill their call.
- Contractors may hire Construction Wireman by name meaning that Contractors will do their own recruitment and refer applicants to the JATC. No matter how Construction Wireman are selected, all must apply and go through the pre-employment screening with the Akron JATC to receive any and all benefits that this position provides.
- Please note: Any person who is offered a position as a CW will have to submit to a drug screen and background check before receiving an official job assignment.